As much as I cook the only thing I truly want to eat is a sandwich. It doesn't even have to be an elaborate sandwich with all the fixings. I'd be satisfied with just ham and cheese sandwich. But here's an elaborate sandwich! And I'm sad to say that I've already consumed it but maybe, just maybe, I'll make it again real soon.
The best part about this gourmet, roasty, toasty, blessed creation isn't the aromatic basil pesto that mingles with the sweet tomato-onion jam or the steamed broccoli that provides just the right amount of moisture and crunch. Rather, it's the ease of it all. Make up a batch of jam and pesto for the week, roast off your thighs in advance, and all your left doing is steaming the broccolini and shoving this bad boy into the oven.
If you love a good sandwich this is the one for you. Heck, you can even eat a ham and cheese while you make this one up. I know I did.
Roasted Chicken Sandwich
“Roasty, toasty, and good!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 8 servings
Tomato Onion Jam
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Season chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Place the chicken in the hot oil, then immediately turn the heat down to medium high. Allow the chicken to sear for 1-2 minutes until the skin turns dark golden brown.
2. Flip the chicken, then transfer the skillet to the preheated oven. Roast for an additional 8 minutes until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan, and replace with the broccoli rabe. Toss in the oil and return to the over for 5 minutes until roasted and soft.
4. For the basil pesto: Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
5. For the tomato onion jam: Heat oil in a sauce pot over high heat. Add onion and sauté until brown and caramelized.
6. Add the tomatoes, garlic, salt, and pepper.
7. Reduce the jam until the released water from the tomatoes has evaporated, stir occasionally to prevent burning. Reduce heat if needed.
8. For one sandwich: spread the pesto on one side of the French loaf and the onion tomato jam on the other. Top with diced roasted chicken thigh and broccolini.
*Add shaved parmesan or gruyere cheese for an extra layer of flavor!
Nutrition Information %Daily Value
Serving Size: 1/4 French loaf *Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Calories: 565 Added Sugars: 0g Vitamin A 19%
Total Fat: 31g Vitamin B6 69%
Saturated Fat: 7g Vitamin B12 18%
Cholesterol: 87mg Vitamin C 244%
Sodium: 1023mg Vitamin D 1%
Potassium: 1295mg Iron 58%
Total Carbohydrates: 46g Calcium 28%
Dietary Fiber: 10g Riboflavin 47%
Protein: 31g Folate 62%