If there's one thing I dislike, it's decorating. Yes, it's beautiful and satisfying if it turns out the way you want it to, but it's not my skill set; so 9 out of 10 times, I'm going to be dissatisfied. However, this one (thank the gods) turned out fairly well! Whether you're a master decorator or just a lover of cake, try out this fantastically rich (and vegan, but not on purpose) ginger snap cake!
Ginger Snap Cake
“The final evolution of the ginger snap cookie!”
Prep Time: 1 hour Total Time: 3 hours Servings: 16 servings
Ginger Snap Cake
1/2 cup coconut oil
1.3 cup dark brown sugar
1.3 cup molasses
2 tablespoons flax seed
5 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground ginger
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup water
2 cups zucchini (shredded)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1.5 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 cup enriched all-purpose flour
1/4 cup coconut oil (firm)
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon anise extract
Pinch of salt
1. In a stand mixer, cream coconut oil, brown sugar, and molasses for 4 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flax seed and water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
3. To the mixer, add flax seeds, vanilla extract, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
4. In a measuring cup, combine coconut milk powder and water.
5. Add the coconut milk and shredded zucchini to the batter and mix until combined.
6. Finally, add whole-wheat flour and enriched all-purpose flour.
7. Mix until just combined.Lightly grease a loaf pan and pour batter ¾ to the top. Bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 1 hour until an inserted knife comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
9. For the icing, beat together the coconut oil and confectioners sugar until stiff. Add the remaining ingredients. Note: ensure cake is completely cooled before icing as coconut oil based icing is very temperamental to heat.
10. For the bourbon sauce, in a small saucepot, combine all ingredients and boil for 4 minutes.
*Substitute a coconut icing for another exceptional treat!
Nutrition Information %Daily Value
Serving Size: 1 Serving *Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Calories: 422 Added Sugars: 61g Vitamin A 0%
Total Fat: 14g Vitamin B6 17%
Saturated Fat: 12g Vitamin B12 0%
Cholesterol: 0mg Vitamin C 3%
Sodium: 281mg Vitamin D 0%
Potassium: 481mg Iron 27%
Total Carbohydrates: 75g Calcium 9%
Dietary Fiber: 1g Riboflavin 6%
Protein: 2g Folate 10%