This week I decided to twist up a batch of soft, buttery pretzels. I allowed these savory treats to proof for 12 hours, adding an extra depth of flavor. Then finally, brushing them with a coat of melted butter infused with garlic salt.
With game day only a few days away, you can be sure to impress with a treat everyone will rip into. No matter who wins and who loses, these pretzels will triumph overall.
Super Soft Pretzels
“For Game Day, Party Day, or Any Day!”
Prep Time: 1 hour Total Time: 2 hours (Depending on proof) Servings: 6 pretzels
1 package yeast
1 cup warm whole milk
5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups bread flour
4 tablespoons softened butter
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons garlic salt
1. Using the dough hook attachments for a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on medium speed for 25 minutes. The dough should climb up the hook and pull away from the sides.
2. Drizzle with oil and form into a ball in the bottom of the bowl. Allow to rise in the refrigerator for 12 hours for extra flavor. However, feel free to let the dough rise at room temperature for 1 hour until doubled in size.
4. Cut the dough into 6 equal size chunks. Then roll out to 12 inches. Let rest 4 minutes, then roll out to 24 inches. Let rest, then roll out to 36 inches. Your logs should be no thicker than a sharpie marker. Let rest, then shape.
6. Mix together the baking soda, water, and salt. Using a spray bottle, spray each pretzel until thoroughly covered. Or wet using your fingers or a brush.
7. Bake at 500°F for 5 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 3 minutes. If desired, bake for an additional 2 minutes for a darker crust.
8. Mix together the melted butter and garlic salt. Immediately after the pretzels finish baking, brush each pretzel with the butter. Coat with butter 2 more times.
*Don't forget the good ol' cinnamon sugar pretzels!
Nutrition Information %Daily Value
Serving Size: 1 Serving *Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Calories: 332 Added Sugars: 11g Vitamin A 9%
Total Fat: 10g Vitamin B6 6%
Saturated Fat: 6g Vitamin B12 8%
Cholesterol: 24mg Vitamin C 0%
Sodium: 218mg Vitamin D 4%
Potassium: 146mg Iron 32%
Total Carbohydrates: 54g Calcium 66%
Dietary Fiber: 2g Riboflavin 31%
Protein: 8g Folate 50%