One of my all time favorite cakes is, as I'm sure you can guess, an orange creamsicle. But wait, there's more! Using orange jell-O- mix, this cake is potent with orange flavor without throwing off the vital liquid to dry ratio. But it doesn't stop there. By reducing cream soda into a syrup I was able to infuse the icing allowing for a tasty frosting before finishing it off with a homemade orange marmalade. So open up your calendars and cross your fingers that there's a birthday coming up. Because although you don't need an excuse, it's better to share an entire cake.
Orange Creamsicle Bundt Cake
“Orange you glad it's cake?”
Prep Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 1 hour Servings: 24
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1-½ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest OR… 1 packet orange Jell-O-
2-½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cup 2% milk
Vanilla Cream Icing
1. For the orange creamsicle cake, preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease and flour a Bundt pan, tapping out the excess flour. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs into the creamed mixture, one at a time, until combined. Stir in the vanilla, orange juice, and orange zest into the creamed mixture to incorporate.
3. Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt then slowly add the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk, in three separate additions of each, beating well after each addition. Transfer the batter to the prepared Bundt pan.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
5. Allow the cake to cool completely in the Bundt pan before removing.
6. For the vanilla cream icing, in a small sauce pot, over medium-low heat, reduce the soda down to a ¼ cup.
7.Whisk together the reduced soda, powdered sugar, and softened cream cheese. Heat the icing in a microwave for 30 seconds until very loose. Spoon icing over the top of the loaves and down the sides.
8. Top with orange marmalade.