You're in for a surprise. This isn't exactly your "typical" chicken cheese steak. Just about the only commonality is the chicken and the hoagie roll it rides in. Now if you want to hit that back button and never look back, I don't blame you. But you'll be missing out on a flavor combo you wish your local steak joint was serving up. So why not stick around, read a little further, and start jotting down that shopping list for later.
Chicken Cheese Steaks
”More than just chicken and cheese!"
Prep Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 1 hour Servings: 6
6 Kaiser hoagie rolls, toasted
6 dried figs, sliced thin
1 teaspoon canola oil
3 plum tomatoes, diced
2 green bell peppers, sliced thin
4 ounces cream cheese
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, small dice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 yellow onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. For the chicken, combine all ingredients and marinate for 1-2 hours. Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Drain chicken and add to the hot oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the chicken is golden brown.
2. In a small sauté pan, heat oil over high heat. Add peppers and sear for 1-2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and cook until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
3. In a sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 10-15 minutes until they begin to brown. Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a food process, blend together the cream cheese and avocado.
5. Spread hoagie roll with the cream cheese spread and top with a layer of chicken followed by tomatoes, peppers, caramelized onions, and dried figs.